Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mmmmmm dinner

Another week, another fancy Friday. Fancy that!

We went to Craigie On Main in Cambridge, a place we've been meaning to try out for a long while. The first thing that struck M, was the fact that they told him the dress code was "jacket preferred" when he made the reservation, yet, we dined alongside a girl in jeans and a tye-dyed t-shirt. Humph! She must not have realized it was fancy Friday.

The menu had so many fantastic options, I did not know where to begin. So, I chose the 4-course market menu prix fixe ($75, not including wine except for a pairing with dessert). They also offer a 6 and 10 course tasting, and allow you to substitute any of the appetizers or entrées you want to into the 4-course prix fixe! Now, that's accommodation, though I did not take them up on it this time around. I noticed a small footnote on the menu regarding peanut oil, but stupidly forgot to ask about this when I ordered. Luckily, prior to receiving my entree, I remembered this and asked the waiter -- indeed, they often cook with peanut oil and had to change my dish a bit. So, peanut allergy people (like me) should be wise to this. They were happy to change things for me, though. And, thankfully, I saw the note and said something before it was too late, and fancy Friday did not turn into freak-show Friday.

Anyways, I began with a pre-appetizer of striped bass ceviche topped with caviar. It was fresh and wonderfully salty-- but not too much. Next, I had the Ragoût of Local Bolete Mushrooms, Radishes, Baby Turnips and House-Made Venison Sausage, served with a deliciously runny farm-fresh egg (to be sopped up with bread from the basket that was also notably both flaky and soft), zucchini-calaminthe purée, and a really beautiful sprinkling of edible herbs and flowers. It was probably the prettiest dish I’ve ever seen. M had the tuna sashimi, which was also presented thoughtfully and was quite delicious with a tangy citrus sauce.

Here is a picture of my beautiful appetizer!
For the main course, I opted for the swordfish, served with a mussel and leek ragout. I am very fond of ordering fish when dining out. I tend not to cook fish often enough at home because I never like how the fish looks at the grocery store, and I can’t ever seem to get my butt in gear to get the good stuff at New Deal. The fish was cooked to perfection. My dish arrived with two large pieces of fish, cooked so the center was just a bit opaque, and the whole piece was not yet flaky. It was moist and delicious, and the sauce was buttery and smooth. M opted for the flat iron steak, which was notable and cooked perfectly. We had a side of local corn (from Sharon, MA—no kidding! I wondered if it was from Wards Berry Farm! Right near my Dad’s old house). The corn came on the cob (much to M’s chagrin, on fancy Friday), and was roasted with a buttery garlic sauce and bacon, which, I must say, really adds something!

Dessert was two cups of cappuccino (very velvety and very good), and a berry cobbler, which M and I shared. Despite it’s delicious crispy-gooey-goodness, M and I decided that fancy Friday’s should NOT always involve dessert. Somehow I have a hard time stopping myself though. They allowed us to substitute the two cappucinos for the wine-pairing that accompanied my Market menu prix fixe.

Oh, for wines, I began with a Riesling (as I often do these days) and then followed it up with a medium-bodied and delightful red. I am sorry I did not write down the names (I am clearly a newbie to food blogging). It was a something Papese… next time I’ll remember to write it down. At least this time I got a picture to share!!! (M was a bit embarrassed when I insisted on taking a photo of my food).

We sat near the windows, and could every-so-often feel the red-line trains rumbling beneath us. The atmosphere was surprisingly casual and did not feel stuffy at all, despite the price and great menu. I highly recommend Craigie on Main for a very filling, well-presented, gastronomic success. Next time, we may try sitting at the bar, where you can view the open kitchen in action.

Next up: A trip to Ogunquit, Maine to Arrows on our way to Labor Day weekend in Acadia National Park!

2 comments:

  1. hi Rachel, Maura forwarded your blog to me... I went to Craigie on Main a couple of months ago with my SIL and had one of the BEST vegetarian 3 course meal ever. I can't describe exactly what was on the main course plate but it was a colorful presentation of various delicious bite sized items. Not a speck of pasta on the plate also.
    For dessert we had the cornbread pain perdu --it was very different and delicious.
    Aiko Pinkoski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiko, Thank you for your comment. As I am a true omnivore (except for lamb and goat cheese), I have a hard time choosing the vegetarian options, though they are often tempting. I'll keep Craigie in mind when I'm dinging with my vegetarian family members and friends! Any other favorite vegetarian experiences? I love suggestions. . .

    ReplyDelete